Interesting Facts about Ethiopia:
There are many interesting facts about Ethiopia as well as many mysteries. Did you know that?
- Coffee was discovered here in the Kaffa region after a shepherd had noticed his goats ate the leaves and had become restless.
- Ethiopia’s capital city Addis Ababa is the highest African capital city at an altitude of 2,400 meters.
- With a population of over 90 million people as at 2015, it is Africa’s second most populous country after Nigeria, and at least 70% of Africa’s mountains are located here.
- That while English is used in educational institutions as the language of instruction there exists more than 80 languages here with the most widely used being Amharic, Somali, Oromo, and Tigrinya.
- That the Ark of the Covenant which holds the 10 Commandments is said to be in one of the churches in the country.
- Ethiopia fought against the scramble for Africa and was never colonized but had been occupied by the Italians for half a decade. Ethiopia fought against the Scramble for Africa, and it is one of the few countries that were not colonized, though Italians occupied it for at least five years.
- Africa’s first Olympic gold medal was won by an Ethiopian Abebe Bikila in 1960
- The oldest fossil of early man was discovered here with the country having the most UNESCO World Heritage Sites having nine of them.
- It’s Africa’s diplomatic hub being the seat of the African Union and other international organizations including UNESCO, UNDR and the UN Economic Commission for Africa
It has its calendar that has 13 months besides being 7 ½ years behind the Gregorian calendar. Normally New Year in Ethiopia starts on 11th September and if it is a leap year it is one day late
Places you must visit
This is the capital city which has existed for more than a century and means ‘new flower’ in Amharic. It has a pleasant cool climate and is the third highest capital on the globe. On the streets, you will encounter a city full of contrasts. It’s too beautiful a city to miss exploring.
Lake Tana Ethiopia:
Be prepared to take on a boat trip to this lake and carry your camera to record the stunning views that you will see as well as visiting the monasteries around such as Azwa Maryam. You can also expect to visit the Bahir Dar market.
Here you will get to see the Debre Berhan Salassie Church, Fasiladas’s castles, bath and gardens which are all of the importance. Here you will not only explore but also meet the locals and experience their culture and lifestyle. An example is the Konoye community where you are enlightened about injera the local staple and how it is made, and you get to enjoy indulging in it as well
Simien mountains are very picturesque and stand out from the surrounding valleys and gorges and count as one of the continent’s most beautiful mountain ranges. You can experience some of Ethiopia’s diverse flora and fauna, such as the Walia ibex.
Ethiopia has so much to explore and experience that you cannot get bored in this beautiful African country.